Savannah and its surrounding towns are full of gorgeous historic homes. They are pieces of the past that we desperately hold onto as we try to incorporate them into our modern living. Unfortunately, with these historic homes, there’s a chance the interior or exterior paint is lead-based. Keeping these homes historically accurate is very important, but lead-based paint is dangerous to those who enter the house, whether it be the people who live there or people on tours. Because people are resistant to changing their historic building, they often ask, “Why is lead-based paint so dangerous?” “What can it do to my health?” “How can I fix it?” and more. Here are some of the most asked questions about lead paint.

1. How is lead paint dangerous? The paint on the wall isn’t necessarily harmful. If the paint is solid, with no chipping, then there isn’t too much issue. The problem happens when the paint starts flaking and chipping off. The hazard is from the lead being ingested, whether through paint chips or the paint dust. It could happen because of:

    1. The age of the paint
    2. Renovations such as sanding or demolition
    3. Everyday wear and tear

2. Is it dangerous for children? Children can be affected by lead-based paint more severely because of how little they are. The most significant cause is eating the paint chips because they don’t understand it’s not something to eat. Even the dust can come down off the walls getting onto their toys, blankets, beds, and more.

FAQs About Lead-Based Paint 1

3. Is it dangerous for adults? Adults may not be affected as much as children, but there is no safe level humans can ingest. With that being said, pregnant women should avoid lead-based paint as it can affect the baby’s development.

4. Is lead-based paint still being used? In the United States, it’s illegal to use lead-based paint for the home, whether interior or exterior.

FAQs About Lead-Based Paint 2

5. What should I do if my home has lead-based paint? The best thing to do is have it removed and repainted. At the very least, paint over the lead-based paint to trap it in. Unfortunately, with this method, you’ll have to worry about the flake down the road. If you think your home has lead-based paint and you want to take care of it, contact us today!